Thursday, May 5, 2011

Knitwear at the Movies: Nanny McPhee

 So I've decided to do an occasional feature, detailing all the handknits I notice/covet in the movies I watch.  Yay!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Nanny McAwesome-Teal-Sweater
"Nanny McPhee" is a 2005 film starring Emma Thompson and Colin Firth.  Not only does it feature Angela Lansbury being fantastically crotchety (I almost typed "crochet-y"), it has seven adorable children in sweaters sweater sweaters!!

My fave: the teal tweedy pullover worn by the oldest child, Simon (Thomas Sangster), in the kite-flying beach scene...
Situationally appropriate and adorable
 It's difficult to see in these pictures, but there are subtle stripes created throughout by switching stitch patterns.  The sleeves are mostly stockinette with seed stitch on the bicep and garter stitch near the seam.  The tops of front and back have a seed stitch background with thin garter stitch stripes; the bottoms are stockinette.

Back detail!:
also, it goes really well with his hair
The strongest draw for me is the delicious color.  Jewel tones in general are great, but... I worship this color.  I want to spend the rest of my life writing poetry for this color; giving this color foot massages; hand-feeding it chocolate.

Are there any cinematic knits you covet?  Comment away!

2 comments:

Beeba said...

Hi! Any idea where we can get the patterns for the knits in Nanny McPhee? They are obviously handknit, especially the denim blue sweater "Simon" wears in the first part of the movie.
Thanks!

Cyprienne said...

Hi Beeba... I haven't been able to find any specific resources with patterns from this movie, though I have heard rumors that there was a children's sweater book released at the same time as the movie.

I'd suggest using Ravelry's excellent searching to find patterns for knits that are similar to (or inspired by) the ones in the movie, like this: [http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/arran-mcbride-gansey] or this: [http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/18-nostalgic-pink-cardigan]